As we create and share our delicious, unique masala chai on our planet, we always try to keep the big picture in mind. In addition to serving the greater good by donating 10% of our net profits to charitable organizations, we choose sustainable materials and processes whenever possible to manufacture our products.
Below is a summary of how we practice sustainability at Blue Lotus Chai.
PACKAGING: We utilize sustainable packaging.
- We purposefully designed our top selling 2 oz. and 3 oz. tins to be reusable and refillable
- We designed the tins without a paper label and printed directly on the metal, which saves paper and trees
- The tins are beautiful which encourages people to reuse them
- At end of life, our tins can be recycled when no longer useful
- The 1/4 tsp. measuring scoop in each tin or pouch is made from renewable bamboo
- Our bulk bags (1 lbs. and 5 lbs.) are made of a revolutionary material that is designed to break down in water or a back-yard compost pile, leaving a bit of plant food behind
- All elements of our 1/2 oz. stand-up pouches are recyclable
- Our printing utilizes soy inks and post-consumer paper stock whenever possible
- Our on-shelf packaging is kept to a minimum; our pouch display boxes are composed of card stock that meets structural integrity needs, but is as thin, light & sustainable as possible
- We reuse packing material and recycle everything that we possibly can
PRODUCT: We source the highest quality & financially sustainable ingredients that are available.
- Non-GMO Project Verified across our line
- 100% Certified Organic spices across our entire line of products
- Certified Organic Rooibos tea in our 100% Certified Organic Rooibos Masala Chai
- 2 year+ shelf life: long shelf life combined with advanced/efficient packaging protocols means less wastage overall, from warehouse to consumer
RESOURCES: We upcycle & reuse whenever possible.
- We reuse paper for in-office use, and by default, print on both sides of paper
- We purchase 100% post-consumer paper for our printer/copiers
- We recycle packing materials whenever possible
- We have installed power strips to lessen ‘trickle’ draining of electricity
- We utilize non-toxic cleaning items in our day-to-day janitorial activities and pest prevention/control protocols
TRANSPORTATION: We embrace more sustainable transportation options.
- We encourage carpooling and biking for our team members
- When purchasing our company vehicle, our objective was to obtain a high mileage per gallon vehicle, rather than a traditional ‘delivery’ truck — we succeeded with an ICE (internal combustion engine) of 28 mpg, remarkable for its class and size
- We embrace the bike-to-business delivery model through a long-term partnership with Hummingbird Wholesale Distributors
SOCIAL: We value our community — local, regional, and planetary.
- We donate 10% of our net profits and groups that support the environment, social justice and planetary harmony
- We support local and regional non-profits thru in-kind donation
- We support a safe, warm, respectful, diverse, gender-safe (and fun!) working environment
- We offer medical insurance for our employees
- Our wages/compensation are generous and creative, including deep employee discounts towards product purchases
- We support flexible schedules
We’re actively and enthusiastically looking for ways to increase sustainability. We are always receptive to suggestions.