As we create and share our delicious, unique masala chai on our planet, we always try to keep the big picture in mind. In addition to serving the greater good by donating a portion of our profits to charitable organizations, we choose sustainable materials and processes whenever possible to manufacture our products.
Below is a summary of how we practice sustainability at Blue Lotus Chai.
PACKAGING: We utilize sustainable packaging.
- We purposefully designed our top selling 2 oz. and 3 oz. tins to be reusable and refillable
- We designed the tins without a paper label and printed directly on the metal, which saves paper and trees
- The tins are beautiful which encourages people to reuse them
- At end of life, our tins can be recycled when no longer useful
- The 1/4 tsp. measuring scoop in each tin or pouch is made from renewable bamboo
- Our bulk bags (1 lbs. and 5 lbs.) are made of a revolutionary material that is designed to break down in water or a back-yard compost pile, leaving a bit of plant food behind
- All elements of our 1/2 oz. stand-up pouches are recyclable
- Our printing utilizes soy inks and post-consumer paper stock whenever possible
- Our on-shelf packaging is kept to a minimum; our pouch display boxes are composed of card stock that meets structural integrity needs, but is as thin, light & sustainable as possible
- We reuse packing material and recycle everything that we possibly can
PRODUCT: We source the highest quality & financially sustainable ingredients that are available.
- Non-GMO Project Verified across our line
- 100% Certified Organic spices across our entire line of products
- Certified Organic Rooibos tea in our 100% Certified Organic Rooibos Masala Chai
- 2 year+ shelf life: long shelf life combined with advanced/efficient packaging protocols means less wastage overall, from warehouse to consumer
RESOURCES: We upcycle & reuse whenever possible.
- We reuse paper for in-office use, and by default, print on both sides of paper
- We purchase 100% post-consumer paper for our printer/copiers
- We recycle packing materials whenever possible
- We have installed power strips to lessen ‘trickle’ draining of electricity
- We utilize non-toxic cleaning items in our day-to-day janitorial activities and pest prevention/control protocols
TRANSPORTATION: We embrace more sustainable transportation options.
- We encourage carpooling and biking for our team members, as well as remote working situations when possible
- When purchasing our company vehicle, our objective was to obtain a high mileage per gallon vehicle, rather than a traditional ‘delivery’ truck — we succeeded with an ICE (internal combustion engine) of 28 mpg, remarkable for its class and size
- We embrace the bike-to-business delivery model through a long-term partnership with Hummingbird Wholesale Distributors
SOCIAL: We value our community — local, regional, and planetary.
- We donate a portion of our net profits to groups that support the environment, social justice and planetary harmony
- We support local and regional non-profits thru in-kind donation
- We support a safe, warm, respectful, diverse, gender-safe (and fun!) working environment
- We offer medical insurance for our employees
- Our wages/compensation are generous and creative, including deep employee discounts towards product purchases
- We support flexible schedules
We’re actively and enthusiastically looking for ways to increase sustainability. We are always receptive to suggestions.