Orange Cranberry Coffee Cake with Chai Glaze
For the Cake
- 1 ½ cups salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp orange extract
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
For the Filling
- 1 ½ cups toasted pecans, chopped
- 1 ½ cups toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
For the Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp Blue Lotus Chai
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk, plus extra for adjusting consistency
DirectionsYield: 1 Bundt Cake | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Bake Time:50-60 minutes
- Prepare Ingredients:Allow the butter, eggs, and sour cream to come to room temperature.
- Preheat Oven:Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease Bundt Pan:Grease a 10-inch Bundt pan thoroughly to prevent sticking.
- Prepare Filling:In a bowl, combine chopped toasted pecans, toasted walnuts, brown sugar, dried cranberries, cardamom, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set this filling mixture aside.
- Combine Dry Ingredients:In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream Butter and Sugar:Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream the room-temperature butter and granulated sugar until the mixture is light in color and fluffy.
- Add Extracts and Zest:Blend in the vanilla extract, orange extract, and the zest of two oranges.
- Incorporate Eggs:Add the eggs one at a time, mixing each until just incorporated.
- Alternate Adding Ingredients:Gradually alternate adding the sour cream and the dry flour mixture. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl, and mix until just combined.
- Assemble the Cake:Scoop enough cake batter into the prepared Bundt pan to cover the bottom. The batter is thick, so a cookie scoop works well for this.
- Add Filling Layers:Sprinkle one-third of the prepared filling mixture evenly over the batter, covering it.
- Repeat Layers:Continue alternating layers of batter and filling until you've used all the ingredients, ending with a layer of batter on top. You should have three layers of filling and four layers of batter in total.
- Bake:Place the Bundt pan in the preheated oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Note that the baking time may vary depending on your oven, so ensure the toothpick is clean to avoid underbaking.
- Cool the Cake:Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Then, carefully invert it onto a prepared serving plate by tapping or wiggling the pan to release the cake.
- Prepare Chai Glaze:While the cake is cooling, heat the milk and chai powder in a small pot on the stovetop until it simmers.
- Mix Glaze:In a small bowl, place the powdered sugar. Once the chai milk simmers, pour it over the powdered sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Adjust Consistency:Adjust the glaze consistency to your liking by adding more powdered sugar for a thicker glaze or more milk to thin it out (you can use cold milk for this).
- Glaze the Cake:Once the cake is completely cooled, spoon the chai glaze over the top, allowing it to naturally drip down the sides.
- Garnish and Serve:Finish the cake by garnishing with additional orange zest. Serve this delightful coffee cake with a warm cup of chai or coffee. Enjoy!