Chai Tapioca Pudding
A classic dessert made even better.
*We recommend this recipe with the following varieties:
Mandarin Masala Chai
Star Anise Masala Chai
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup small pearl tapioca (not instant)
- 2½ cups whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon your favorite Blue Lotus Chai*
DirectionsMakes approximately 3 cups.
- 1. Place water and tapioca pearls in a 1½ quart pot.
- 2. Let stand for 30 minutes until the pearls are plump and have absorbed the water.
- 3. Turn heat to medium-high. Pour in milk and salt; stir while bringing to a bare simmer.
- 4. Reduce heat to very low. Add sugar and cook uncovered.
- 5. Stir frequently so tapioca doesn’t stick to bottom of the pan.
- 6. Cook until the tapioca pearls have plumped and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 7. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- 8. Slowly whisk in about ½ cup of the hot tapioca. This equalizes the temperature between the two mixtures to avoid curdling.
- 9. Pour the egg mixture into the pot with the rest of the tapioca
- 10. Increase heat to medium and stir for several minutes until you get a thick pudding consistency that coats the back of a wooden spoon. Don't let the mixture boil.
- 11. Take off the heat. Whisk in Blue Lotus Chai* until it dissolves.
- 12. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Serve either warm or cold with fresh fruit - and enjoy!